Ticket #1065 (new enhancement)
|Reported by:||pander||Owned by:||ainulindale|
Many former committed SHR users, like myself, have for whatever reason it might be, switched from Freerunner with SHR to another mobile device. However, they still care a lot for the Openmoko device and SHR distribution and it would be a shame to let this innovative open hardware and software go to waste because of those 'whatever reasons'.
Providing a custom build that will only offer tangoGPS will prolong the use of this versatile piece of hardware offer the following benefits:
- Since no power is consumed for other functions therefore device is able to perform for a longer time the GPS function on battery.
- Other mobile devices like HTC Microsoft, iPhone and Android offer GPS functionality but cannot download all the maps of the world or a certain region before you embark on your trip. They need a live connection (and in the outdoors abroad this will mostly be GSM/GRPS/UMTS/3G/4G/whatever) for which you will have to pay. The proposed solution can access maps from the microSD card up to 8GB. A desktop or laptop can be used to download maps onto the microSD card.
- Since no other functions are offered, no bugs from non-GPS functionality will interfere and no attention will have to be paid to switch off or do not use accidental expensive mobile networking abroad.
- The Openmoko device will not disappear somewhere in a drawer when users switched to another type of device. Both the hardware and custom SHR software will continue to be a real life showcase.
For the implementation, an image will have to be build that will do the following:
- SHR: On startup directly offer only tangoGPS and tangoGPS only. No installer, no other software, no wifi/gprs/gsm/usb drivers, no taskbar, no keyboard, no screen saver, no auto dimming, etc. No other functionality that could could interfere with GPS or does not contribute to GPS and could consume battery power.
- SHR: The touch screen can be locked by the upper left button, see also D. The screen can be disabled via the power button. The device can be powered off by holding the power button for a long time. Sleeping, hibernating, auto screen saving, auto screen dimming, etc. is not needed and not wanted.
- SHR: The taskbar can be one big battery indicator in terms of a progress bar, charging state (charging or discharging), time left and screen lock status (open or closed lock icon).
- tangoGPS: The Maps directory is to be expected at /media/card If no /media/card/Maps directory and no subdirectory (OSM or others) is found, show a (popup) message that one needs to create a Maps directory on the microSD card on a desktop or laptop.
- tangoGPS: No functionality that requires any networking should be offered or should be enabled. No downloading, no sharing location with friends, no photos, no POIs, no configuration of Maps directory, no creation or editing of map types, no configuration of GPSD. Track logging can work as normal.
Offering this custom build will be a revival for most discarded Openmoko devices and be great showcase for SHR's flexibility.
Travelling in a remote area with a battery saving dedicated SHR-GPS image on a Freerunner and a 8 GB microSD card loaded OpenStreetMap? and other maps providing every geographic detail would be very nice.
comment:2 in reply to: ↑ description Changed 3 years ago by TAsn
- Priority changed from major to trivial